New job opportunity at Nexer - Service Designer
Senior Business Administrator
2 minute read
We are expanding our service design capability and are keen to talk to people with experience in designing inclusive services across the public and non profit sectors.
We design and develop digital products and services that help people to live and work better. We need to add another Service Designer to our experience design team so we can better meet the increasing demand from our customers in health, education, charities and the public sector for services that really work for people, every day.
Working with real users and business stakeholders, our team takes time to understand and map the flow through and between every touchpoint in the services we design. As a service designer, you will be responsible for making sure that services are joined-up and effective, from end-to-end.
The role involves working with user researchers, business analysts and product managers, UX and interaction designers, developers and testers in every part of the service transformation process.
Sometimes our designers work from one of our offices, other times from home, and sometimes they may be working onsite as part of a client-side team. In any case, your energy and enthusiasm will help to balance the requirements of the service provider with the real-world needs of the service users.
As a Service Designer at Nexer, you will:
- Work alongside user researchers, subject matter experts, and other designers to understand user behaviour, engage with user research activities and make informed design decisions
- Lead discovery and alpha (or early stage) project activities
- Lead design workshops and mapping activities with clients and users to understand, define and articulate the needs, opportunities and components of a service
- Map and present, visually, the ‘as is’ and ‘future state’ of services we are designing through user journey maps, service blueprints and similar artefacts
- Work alongside UX and Interaction Designers to capture and convey service elements (such as digital user interfaces, physical interfaces or new processes) through prototypes or proof-of concept deliverables
- Present, test and gather feedback on the artefacts you produce with colleagues, stakeholders and service users
- Work with clients to help them adopt and embed a service design mindset, in order that they can make services sustainable and adaptable
Skills and experience
Ideally, you should have:
- At least 3 years’ experience in a service design role, or in a senior UX role with the confidence and ability to move into a service design role
- A background in or understanding of UX, digital transformation, user-centred design, and accessibility, or related digital product and service design disciplines
- A comprehensive understanding of agile, user-centred ways of working
- The ability to work in a client-facing role as part of a multidisciplinary team and build good working relationships with clients, users, stakeholders and your colleagues
- Some experience with UK government departments or projects, or awareness of the UK charity and non profit sector
- A desire to make things that have real, positive impact
In addition, we’d love it if you have:
- Experience of other design disciplines (such as user research or UX design) and the ability to contribute to other aspects of the design process, from time to time
- Some experience working in a digital agency or exposure to a similar environment
A little bit about Nexer
Nexer is a User Experience (UX) design, development and consulting company. We work closely with real people to design, build and evolve digital products and services that are highly usable, accessible and engaging. We work with companies large and small, in the public, private and not-for-profit sectors, and we believe strongly in developing long term, mutually beneficial strategic partnerships with our customers. Since 2007, we’ve grown from a team of 4 to a team of 50 people to become one of the most respected User Experience focused digital agencies in the UK. We’re also known for creating and running the popular Camp Digital conference.
Nexer is an inclusive company and we care about diversity. We encourage applications from people who can help enrich the ethnic and cultural diversity of our team, those with access needs, those who need flexible working patterns, and people from all walks of life.
Salary: £40-50k depending on experience.
Benefits: 35 hr working week, 28 days paid holiday + public holidays, company pension, income protection and life insurance, flexible working.
Location: Macclesfield, Cambridge or remote.